Thursday 7 May 2009

Walking trough Canton

Walk trough the Canton.


All portraits made during my walk trough Canton area of Cardiff. I used Pentax K1000 35mm film camera and B&W Ilford Delta 400 film; then scanned film using Nikon Scan software. All images are manipulated in Photoshop (using 'posterize edges' filter and colour balance). I cropped people's faces and photographed just half of it. I've made 20 photographs - people of different age, sex, from different countries and cultures. I've choose just 18 pictures to final collage prints.

The project which I have done, seemed to be easy. I was to approach 20 people on the street and take their photos, of course with their consent. The pictures were basically to present the face. I’ve decided to frame them in a slightly different way so that the series was original and different that the others. Therefore I’ve taken the picture of only a part of the face i.e. one eye and nose.
Everyone hides something, has some secrets and can’t be seen through completely. Face and eyes can tell us a lot but they cannot become the only thing by which people are being judged. That was basically the essence of my project. The worst part of the whole enterprise was obviously approaching people on the streets. Fortunately, everyone was nice and I managed to do my project smoothly. Never before have I met those people. I walk the route from my home towards Cowbridge Road East several times a day and despite that I have never paid attention to people. Having done my project, I perceive world a bit differently. Now I meet the people whose photos I’ve taken very often. They remember that I have taken their photos and we are no longer passing ourselves indifferently. Now I pay definitely more attention to people. I observe passers-by and think whether it would be possible to get to know them all…
You can find book with all my photos from this serie here: on my blurb account.





Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

No comments:

Post a Comment